From one of the worlds preeminent UAV engine suppliers comes the latest update, the 15 HP, HIRTH-4201
Type: reed valve controlled boxer engine with electronic fuel injection
Displacement: 183 cm³ (11,5 cu in)
Performance (max): 11 kW (15 HP)
Cooling: Air cooled
Weight: 5700 g (12.5 lb) with exhaust system, sensors and wiring harness, +600 g (1.33 lb) for Sub components (ECU, ignition system, fuel supply, …)
Starting device: External by propeller hub or by optional starter / generator
Options: For UAV’s requiring strong electrical supplies use the 1 kW generator incl. drive system and mounting [+ 800 g/1,76 lb], regulator for generator incl. starter [+ 600 g/1.33 lb]. Tou match your UAV we have two exhaust systems availables, optional oil injection, the starter/generator kit gives your UAV up to 2 kW of electrical power, more Customizations possible at the customers request
The 4201 is an air-cooled, reed valve controlled 2-stroke boxer engine with electronic fuel injection. It utilizes advanced closed loop control to optimize performance for extreme environmental conditions (hot/cold/altitude). It also has the option to use a reduction drive. Based on the worldwide well known S1211 and S1212 engines which has been proven in theatre, the new 4201 engine has been updated with the latest engine technology to create a new off the shelf propulsion system which meets the demanding requirements of the unmanned aerial vehicle market. The engine features automatic altitude and temperature compensation enabling reliable start and operation in a wide operating range. Temperature: -40 to +60° C (-40 to +140° F). Altitude: 0 – 6000m (0 – 20,000 ft.).
Some UAV customers that are using Hirth engines (in the public domain) are: Northrop Grumman BAT, Denel Seeker II, Rheinmetall KZO, EMT Luna, CybAero APID60, Indra Pelicano, DroneTech UAV AV1 Albatross, Robot Aviation Aerobot and Saab Skeldar. Hirth is a leader in development and production of reliable 2-stroke aircraft engines and utilizes advanced technology to meet the demanding requirements of UAV applications. These technologies include advanced fuel injection systems, integration of lightweight/efficient starter/generators, advanced engine management systems, gear and belt drive reduction systems and advanced engine mount solutions. Hirth works closely with its supply base to be able to provide a complete turnkey propulsion module that includes engine mount, generator, and propeller.
Advantages of Hirth’s 2-stroke aircraft engines are:
- ISO 9001 registered engineering/production facility and has produced over 1 million 2-stroke engines since 1927.
- Broad 2-stroke application experience with air cooled and water cooled engines developed for air, land and sea applications.
- Nikasil cylinders, hyper eutectic pistons and chrome moly crankshafts for improved durability to achieve higher TBO’s.
- Sport aviation and defense unmanned aerial vehicle experience.
- COTS, modified COTS and clean sheet engine solution options.
- Located in the heart of Stuttgart so Hirth has access to high tech suppliers that support the German auto industry.
- Aircraft integration and fielded flight operation experience. EMT Luna has completed over 15,000 missions in Afghanistan and the Balkins. Other customers are also flying in various global environments leading to direct access to field feedback to optimize engine performance and reliability.